Perry Smith Story

The Dr. Perry Smith, Jr. Story


God’s Healing Power


My testimony begins with a Methodist revival at Wesley Methodist Church in Greenville, Texas, led by Bill Betts in 1961. Many folks including my parents and I were saved during that revival time at Wesley which lasted about 2 1/2 years.

Fast forward to 1969 and I graduated high school and headed to Texas Tech University to study premed. I got caught up in living a debauched lifestyle for the next 1 1/2 years. When my mother sensed and realized what was happening, she went into intercessory prayer and spiritual warfare for my soul. She asked the Lord to cause me to love His word as much as I seemed to hate it during this time. She and my father required me to attend the Navigators midwinter conference in Colorado Springs for college students in Jan of 1971. I unhappily did so. I remember that on the last night of the conference that I felt that I had skated through and that nothing had happened to me and therefore I was home free. It was about at that moment that something quite unusual happened. I had no grid or context for this kind of thing. Suddenly I felt as if a spotlight from heaven had been shined into the room and had landed upon me. At that time, the words of the preacher morphed into God's very words and voice and I knew that I was no longer hearing a preacher but was hearing the voice of God Himself. I do not remember the exact words that I heard, but the gist of it was this: This is your last warning. I am God. What are you going to do with Me? Immediately I looked around the room thinking that everyone had heard this and would now be looking at me. No one seemed to notice but me that God's voice had interrupted the meeting. So in my heart I simply said to Him, "Well if it is that serious, then I am going with You."  Immediately the darkness that I was living in was lifted and I knew that I had been delivered. As I walked out of the meeting, a man that I did not know came up to me from the crowd and said, "Did something happen to you tonight?". I was staggered by this. How did he know?  It gave me the opportunity to express the decision I had made for the Lord and cemented it in my heart. Confession with our mouths is important. And with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10b.

Immediately my mother's prayer was answered and I had an intense love for His word and began immediately to memorize it. I went back to Tech and broke off the ungodly relationships and began to fellowship with the local Navigators. So complete was the change that I decided to leave premed and to enter ministry presumably by becoming a Navigator.

This all came to an abrupt halt in Jan of 1973. The ministry there at Tech began to come under strain and I sensed that the Lord was removing His grace for me to be a part. I was very torn by this. But ultimately, I realized that I must listen to the Lord and leave. I sensed that I was to leave just as Abraham had left Ur...not knowing where I would go. So I made my way over to the Nav leader's home and told him I was leaving. This was a most difficult moment, but I knew it was the Lord. Slowly over the next few months, I considered other options of ministry such as seminary. However, it never resonated in my spirit. Finally, the Lord told me I was to go to medical school. I knew it was right, but I did not understand it. How was that ministry? How would that accomplish making disciples for the Lord? How was this spiritual? Not only that, but I was way behind in my requirements for admission to med school. However I knew it was the Lord and I made the decision to go for it.

This decision would require me to really become serious about study. I went ahead and took the entrance exam that May and did poorly. I was dismayed. How could I fail, if this decision were from the Lord?  Yet, it seemed as if I had.

I took organic chemistry in the summer. This is a most challenging summer course. It required everything from me. Yet I did not find that with all of my study that I could do well on the exams. I was making a C and needed an A. I had two exams to go and needed at least a 96 or better on the last regular test and then would need a 95 on the final for an A in the course. That is exactly what I got. From there, the grades and the favor began to come.

I retook the entrance exam and did very well. However, I did not have the grades to get into Southwestern Med School and that is precisely where the Lord showed me that I was to go. When all was said and done, the only school to accept me was Southwestern.

Medical school and the subsequent 25 years of my life were very dry spiritually. So dry in fact, that I soon forgot that God had called me and that I had a call of God upon me. However I continued to see the hand of God upon my life during this time. I was in and out of a few relationships that I had hoped would lead to marriage. None of them would work out. I remember one day telling the Lord....Well since I don't seem to be able to find the right woman, would you do it for me? I don't even have time to be looking. So would you do it for me?  I told Him, You did it for Isaac, so please do it for me. Bring her to me even as you did for him. At that time I gave up looking and even thinking about it. In 1979, I was serving as an intern at Parkland Hospital in Dallas and I got a call from Dad. He told me that a lady from Greenville would be in Dallas that month and that I should take her out. Her name was Lori Speight. Her mother worked as my Dad's dental assistant and the two of them had decided we should be a couple. At the same time, I got a call from my friend Greg Stovall in Galveston Med School saying that Lori would be in Dallas for an externship and she had been babysitting their kids and I should take her out. At first I thought that I did not want my Dad picking my dates, but then I remembered what I had asked the Lord to do. So I took her out and knew on the first date she was the woman I would marry. We had 6 dates and became engaged. We married 6 months later.

I was offered an opportunity to practice medicine in a prestigious practice at Baylor in Dallas. However, I again felt the Lord telling me specifically to go to my home town and practice. Part of the draw would be to have future children near grandparents.

Now when I say that the Lord showed me to do these things, I never heard an audible voice of God. Rather, I would have an inward "knowing" of what I should do. If one is not careful, he will talk himself out of this "knowing". It is subtle at first, but as you yield to it, it becomes stronger and stronger until it is undeniable.

In 1981, we moved to Greenville, TX and I began private practice.

The next 20 plus years are in some ways a blur. Spiritually, not much happened. I continued to read the word and to pray. However, I rarely heard God speak and I forgot that He would. I sometimes wondered what had happened. However I was so busy with family and medicine that I just chose not to think on this.

The next stirrings in my heart began in 1997. My children had as teenagers chosen to move from our home church to a Baptist church in town. One day, I just knew that my time at the home church was over and that I was to go to the Baptist church. I did. My wife was a bit slower to do so. However by Jan 1998, we had begun to attend the Baptist church. I began to pray on Thursdays with a group of men in that church. This was new for me.

Music though was the next thing the Lord addressed to me. I had been an organist as a young person. I had dropped it for the next 25 years. One day, Lori and I went to dinner with a new couple friend from this new church. Carolyn said to me, "I understand you are an accomplished organist."  I was dumbfounded. I thought I had kept that fact very hidden. I did not want folks to know it. It was not the image I wanted and I wanted no one asking me to play. However if you are a musician, it is always there. It began to bubble up in my soul.

The next Sunday, I was early to service and there was only one other man in the auditorium. I thought to myself, I have never looked at this organ, so I think I will go up and look at it. As I turned the corner to look at the organ, the man in the back yelled out, "Well, why don't you sit down and play it?" He did not know me and did not know I could. So I thought to myself, "Well, why don't I?” I played Jesus Paid It All.

I quickly became concerned as I realized that I may have broken someone's rule and also that I did not want them to know that I could play. So I closed the hymnal and sat in my seat.

Next day, I met the local urologist in the stairwell at the hospital. I rarely would see him and his wife was the organist at this church. He asked me if that were me playing the organ yesterday? I told him, "yes.” He asked if I would consider playing for Fran in 6 weeks when they went on a trip to Europe. I told him that I no longer played and it had been 25 years since doing so and did not think that I could do it.

I went back to my office and the Lord spoke to me. He spoke just like He used to do 20 plus years before. He said, "What did you do with the talent that I gave you?" I told Him, "I buried it."  "What did I say to the servant who buried what I had given him?" “I don't remember, I said."  "Well you better go and look it up." So I did. I was horrified to see what He said. Thou wicked and slothful servant. Cast the unprofitable servant into outer darkness. I said back to Him "You wouldn't say this to me". He said, "I would."  So I said to Him, then I will call Fran and I will play.

This began the process by which He would take me to the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Music was the lure and the vehicle to get me to the next step.

In May of 2000, I received a phone call from Wesley United Methodist Church that they had lost their organist. They wanted me to be the interim organist for the summer. I asked the Lord what to do. I was happy at the Baptist church and did not really want to do this. However, the Lord told me to go. So I went. I was blessed every Sunday for being in obedience.

At the end of the summer, I was asked to become the permanent organist. I resisted at first, but the Lord told me to stay. The next year, a new pastor was assigned to Wesley. I was disturbed to see that he had written a book on healing. I was disturbed to see that he had doves all over his website. I knew that this marked him as being one of those charismatic’s that I thought were ill informed and off in their beliefs. I asked the Lord, "Why couldn't You have just sent us a plain evangelical, why does He have to have all of this stuff in his beliefs."  The Lord did not answer.

So, Jerry Simmons showed up in June of 2001. I had never heard such powerful preaching. He preached salvation. He did not even speak of the things of the Spirit. He knew that these people just needed to be saved. He received much opposition to the message. Many in the church were very ugly to him.

I supported him. However I was adamant that all gifts of the Spirit had ceased 2000 years ago. I did not believe in healing for today. I certainly did not believe that speaking in tongues was for today. However I supported him in his evangelical preaching of the Word.

The next step in my journey would happen in response to a visit in Jerry's office in Dec of 2001.

For the next three weeks, I continued in constant prayer and Bible reading. I was sure that at some point, my prayer language would come, but could not understand why it was so long in coming. Finally one day, as I was speaking to the Methodist preacher's wife, Mildred, she suggested that I come to see her and we would get this released. I was conflicted. I wanted it badly. However it was embarrassing to me to go for help and especially to submit myself to a woman for help. I finally decided I wanted the results more than I was afraid of the embarrassment. So I went. Mildred told me that I was not leaving until I was speaking in tongues. I thought to myself, "I might be here a very long time then because I can't do it."  She told me that we were to pray but not use English. This was most problematic for me. Finally she told me that if I must, then I could copy a few of her words to jump start my prayer language. This is what I did. It worked. I thought though that all I was doing was copying her, but in that brief instant in which I quit thinking about it and just copied some of her words, the Holy Spirit was able to take my tongue and give me His words. It took off from there. I was ecstatic. It gave a whole new expression and power to my prayer life. Now I truly could not get enough prayer. I could even hear this spiritual prayer going in the background 24 hours a day for a while. It was continuous.

The next big breakthrough came on a day in mid Feb of 2001. I walked into an exam room to find Patty there. Now I had known Patty for perhaps 15 years. I had gone to church with her. I knew that she was a different kind of patient and that she never did what I suggested. She knew that I was a sensationalist and my background and had no idea what had happened to me.

I walked into the room and she had a book turned over on her lap. All I could see was that it was a blue and green back cover on this book. I could not see any print on this book. The Lord gave me a word of knowledge when I entered the room.  As soon as I saw it I knew that it was a Holy Spirit book. So I said to Patty, "What is that book?" She told me it is just a book. "No, it is not just a book. What is that book?"  "It is just a book."  "No, Patty, it is not just a book." So she sheepishly turned it over and it was "Good Morning, Holy Spirit."  by Benny Hinn.

So I said to her, "Do you speak in tongues?"  She was horrified thinking that she would be in for abuse. She finally said, "Well I have."  Then I told her, "Well I do too."  She was shocked.

This was a provision from the Lord for my next step in the walk of faith. Patty had been good friends with Milton Green until he died and was still friends with his widow, Joyce. She had a whole library of books and tapes on healing and deliverance. She began to feed me these things as the Lord would show her. Then the Lord would connect me with a few folks walking in a faith walk, but would only let me walk with them for a short time before saying, "No more of this."  "I don't want you to get anymore of this." He would then begin to show me folks that needed healing and or deliverance and just tell me to do it. I would do it and would see it work. I began to see the Lord heal folks in the medical practice and outside of it as well. Deliverance also began to be a part of this walk. He would just tell me to do it and it would work.

In May or June of 2001, several folks began asking me to teach what I had learned about the Holy Spirit. I replied to them that I did not consider myself a teacher as I did not like speaking in front of groups of people and did not think I had much to say. I resisted this for the longest time. Finally, I gave in and told them that I would teach for 6 weeks and then be done.

I began in September. I was amazed that when I stood in front of the group that suddenly many things unthought-of I began to pour out of my mouth. I thought, "Where did that come from?" The next morning as I met with the Lord, I was in my sequential reading of the word and I was in Isaiah 60. The Lord began to just lift the first 5 verses off the page to me. Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee and so forth until it ended at verse 5. I was shocked. I told the Lord that He must have made a mistake as this could not be my future. I was sure that He had the wrong man. He told me to be quiet and that it would happen.

The next week, the same experience came my way at the meeting. I just stood up and many things began to flow from my mouth. The next morning, in my reading, I was in Jeremiah 1. He caused these verses to just come up off the page at me as He had the previous week. Before I formed thee in the belly, I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Then said I, Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak; for I am a child. But the Lord said unto me; Say not, I am a child; for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord. Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.  I was astounded and quite sure that He had found the wrong man. Only those verses were spoken to me and only those verses were highlighted to me. It started in verse 5 and ended in verse 10.

I argued with him that I was just a physician in Greenville, TX and that I did not travel or even have a passport. I was quite sure that He had the wrong address and wrong man. He told me to be quiet.

I never told anyone about this revelation from Him. I doubted that anyone would believe it or understand. I just waited to see how He would develop this.

I continued after this to teach. I continued to minister to folks. The Lord gave fruit in these labors. Along the way, I received prophetic words that would confirm the going to the nations word the Lord had given me. Others even had dreams about my leaving the practice to minister overseas. There were prophecies about my being away for extended periods of time from the practice. Just as Mary did about Jesus, I simply treasured these things in my heart, knowing that what He told me would require His hand to make it happen. There were many ups and downs over the ensuing next years. Eventually I received a cryptic prophetic word from a young man I was visiting. He said to me in May of 2005 that "You will soon come upon a fork in the road, and it doesn't matter which fork you choose, you will end up in the same place."

That summer I reached the fork in the road. We changed financial advisors and the first words out of his mouth when I saw him was "You can retire today if you want to. There is a way to do this."  I did not immediately realize it was the fork. However, I immediately dismissed it and said, "No, I don't want to retire now."  That was the fork in the road in retrospect.

Peb practiced medicine in Greenville for 26 years before retiring to do missionary work in Kenya. Peb believed that pure and undefiled religion was to care for the orphans and widows in their time of distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world, James 1:27. This belief led him to begin a ministry in Kenya to help feed over 100 orphans monthly, a work that is ongoing today.

Download Perry Smith's Hearing His Voice