Ben Shenberger

Benjamin ShenbergerI wept at the altar, and I recommitted my life to Jesus.

My name is Benjamin Shenberger, and I am 32 years old. I had owned my own company (SubZero Audio) from 2001 to 2015. It was a recording studio and Audio/Video (A/V) Installation company. It was always on the side of my normal job, but I kept busy with it. It paid my way through Master's Commission for two years.

In 2015, I decided not to renew my business license because my full time job, new home, and longer commute meant less time to focus on my business.  I manage all AV and phones for Seattle Genetics, a cancer research company, which has 1200 employees. I work with an Information Technology (IT) Support team of nine people and made sure they solved technical problems and helped our end users as needed. I am responsible to make sure all conference rooms, phones, and Video Conferencing Systems (VCS) are operational and working at peak efficiency.

I would like to tell you my story.

I was born in Fairbanks, Alaska, and I grew up in North Pole, Alaska. My parents were volunteer missionaries at KJNP, a Christian radio/TV station in North Pole broadcasting to Alaska, Russia, and Canada. I was raised going to church and constantly heard about Jesus and the many testimonies from around the world of how He had changed people’s lives.

I made my first commitment to Christ at age five. I knew then that I needed Jesus. At my dining room table, I prayed with my parents and accepted Jesus as my personal Savior, and I was filled with the Holy Spirit. I spent the next ten years loving Christ and doing my best to be an example. But as I reached my teenage years, I began to feel like I didn’t fit in.

I made a conscious decision to fight my parents, and I began refusing to go to church. I started hanging out with people who were not good influences and that led me further and further from the commitment I made as a child. I felt lonely, lost, and far from where I knew I needed to be.

There was a knock on the door one Sunday morning when I was 17 years old. My parents had left for church, and I had just gotten back from an out of town Paintball tournament. As I opened the door, I found three of the young men from the youth group at my local church. They told me they were there to take me to church. I grudgingly accepted, knowing I wasn’t happy with where I was going. That decision was a new beginning I so desperately wanted.

I could hardly sit still during the message. All I could think about was that I had chosen to run away from the God who had loved me, protected me, and saved me. I had abandoned Him, but He had always been there with open arms waiting for me to come back. I wept at the altar, and I recommitted my life to Jesus. I knew there was no going back this time. My life had a purpose, and the call of God was undeniable.

I knew I needed additional focus and training, and I decided to attend Master’s Commission, a full immersion ministry training program. I spent one year at Master’s Commission in Alaska and then moved to Seattle, Washington, for my second year of Master’s Commission. It began a new chapter of my life where I was out of my comfort zone in a city where I didn’t know anyone. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

During my second year of Master’s Commission in Washington State, I met the most amazing woman. I had the privilege of marrying her two years later in 2006. I felt like I could settle down, and started to get my life in order. That’s when God threw me a curveball.

It was the spring of 2008, I began feeling a stirring in my spirit. I began to seek the Lord and ask for His guidance. Within days, I knew what I was supposed to do. I was supposed to join the Army. Both my wife and I were in agreement that this was what God was calling me to do. I took the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) Military Entrance Test. The score on my test enabled me to pick any job in the Army. I chose Infantry because it was what I felt I was supposed to do. Three weeks later, I was on my way to boot camp in Georgia.

After boot camp, I was at my new duty station for two months before boarding a plane to go on a combat deployment to Iraq. I spent the next year trusting God to protect me and the other soldiers. Within the first few weeks in Iraq, I was given the name “Preacher” by my fellow soldiers. This was not an uplifting nickname. It was a mocking nickname because I was the only Christian in my unit. My fellow soldiers hated that I spoke about God and that I wasn’t afraid. I knew this was why I had been placed there.

By the end of the deployment, I had prayed with many members of my unit. My platoon sergeant asked me to pray over the platoon as we rolled out of the gate for every combat mission. God had opened a door where I had never dreamed it existed. He had softened the hearts of the hard men I served with, and I had the opportunity to be a part of it because of my obedience.

After I received a honorable discharge, I went back to the business world. My background in Audio/Video was put to use at Seattle Genetics, a cancer research company. I am the A/V, VTC, and Phone Administrator. Christ is the center of my life. I am secure in Him. I do not worry what tomorrow may bring. He loves me, and I love Him. God is good, all the time.

Ben Shenberger Hearving His Voice Testimony